We started out Friday morning with a trip to the movies. Planes opened that day, so we loaded up. As much as Beckett loves Cars, we knew he would be up for this. Cute, not as cute as cars. I am concerned with the language that is now in children's programming, but that's a soapbox for another blog post.
Beckett had a yummy seafood lunch and went home to take a nap....or so I thought. While I ran last minute errands, he and Lila were living it up with Granna (or "Danna" as they say).
In between the craziest of party prep, we let him open presents from Mom and Terry, along with a little something from us. His main present was cowboy boots, but he received those a few days prior. Fortunately, I had a $5 Melissa & Doug toy that was a hit! Could have saved quite a few dollars!
It was late at this point, and he was a little out of it. That lasted as long as it takes to say, "Beckett, do you want to open presents?"
He dove in...
...and Lila stood it as long as she could.
We finally got them in bed and finished what we could for the party. (This includes mopping at midnight. And it was pointless!)
The next morning, we started early. Real early. The party was at 10:30, and we had lots to set up. While Jared, David and Terry set up the pools, the kids helped test them. I wish I'd taken a few minutes to get pictures of Lila, Beckett and Eli, in their pj's, in the pool, at 7:30 a.m.
I found these super cute plastic "mason jars" on etsy, and put out glass jars for the adults. With our John Deere/Tractor theme, we served lemonade and sweet tea.
The cups also served as the party favor.
Veggies w/ dip and watermelon. I could have served nothing but watermelon and our tiny guests would have been thrilled.
Chicken tenders, peas w/ tomatoes & green chilies and cornbread (in the dump truck).
We set up three baby pools and a sprinkler. We pulled out almost every beach toy we had, and dumped them in the pools.
We had great friends, approximately 40 of them...
along with amazing family (about 12 of those). I finally got to see this little cutie toddling around. She is my cousin's bundle of joy, and just recently moved back to Alabama from Kentucky. I. was. thrilled to see her come in the door. She is one of the happiest, most loving babies I know!!
My nephew Eli made the seven hour ride from Georgia. I think he had enough fun on Saturday to make up for the pain of riding. I think. He didn't want anything to do with me until I mentioned chocolate milk, then he permitted me to kiss the forehead.
After lots of eating (the watermelon worked well with the baby pools), running and splashing, we headed in for cake. Rain threatened all morning, so we wanted to sing before the clouds unleashed their fury. They never did.
Let me tell you about this cake. I pictured it in my mind months ago. It was going to be the best tractor cake ever iced. Not only was it going to be super cute on the outside, but Beckett was going to be ecstatic with the moist chocolatey goodness on the inside. WRONG! This is what he got:
No need to worry Cake Boss, I'm no danger to your business. (although the cake itself was rather tasty.)
Beckett didn't seem to mind. He blew out the match before I could light the candle. I had to move the cake away so we could sing. Beckett even chimed in!
Finally!
I think he ate 10 pieces of cake. It was quite ridiculous and I almost felt like a bad mother. Almost.
After everyone left, we opened more presents. And more presents. And more presents. Our tiny house cannot accommodate all of this!
We ended the afternoon with some digging, then a little more swimming. All in all, a perfect day.
So here's my sentimental blurb on the day: I always get emotional at their birthday parties. Yes, they're growing up so fast, but that gets to me at least a few times a week. Their parties are different. My mom usually comes in early to help (after driving seven hours one way). Terry came with her this time, and got to work with party prep. Tabitha, David and Eli drove seven hours. My Aunt Joy and Uncle Frank drove from South Carolina. My cousin Josh, his wife and 15 month old daughter made a 4 hour trek......after moving across several states the week before. On top of the personal sacrifices my loved ones made to come celebrate, they arrived happy and ready to help with the celebration.
Then our wonderful friends arrived. I looked out at everyone and thought about what a great life we have. Lila and Beckett are growing up in a safe place filled with great people. We also have an amazing family that loves us immensely.
We missed a few very special family members who couldn't join us. We hope they get to come to the next one!
On days like Saturday, I am reminded of how blessed we are. As my mother likes to say, my heart was and remains, full.
HAPPY SECOND BIRTHDAY MAN-MAN! WE LOVE YOU!





























No comments:
Post a Comment