Thursday, August 12, 2010

Our First Family Vacation

Lila and I had Jared to ourselves for A WHOLE WEEK! It was glorious! My hubby was around for 7 full days. I could pass Lila over when she was fussy, he got up each morning, changed her diaper and brought her to me, and when nap time rolled around, Daddy was ready for the sleeper hold. My dreams have changed and many of them came true last week.

We started our week by heading to Opelika to crash with my dad. I don't think he noticed Jared and I were there and immediately swept his little angel inside. He did have some yummy steaks ready for the grill and our friends Susan & Kira had the rest of dinner ready. We had a very relaxing visit and my dad got to spend some time with Lila.

We headed out the next morning for Jackson, AL and Jared's family reunion. The drive was long, but was worth it when we finally arrived. Jared has a pretty big extended family and they are all wonderful. They are very welcoming and genuine....and great cooks! The food was delicious, and I'm pretty sure I gained 10 pounds in those 2 days.

On Sunday, it was off to Orange Beach for a little R&R.  The only time we left the house Monday and Tuesday was to go to Publix.  We ate lots of good food, watched tv, read and slept. By Wednesday, we had to get out of the house. After all, we could sit around in Birmingham, right? We headed to the beach! It was actually very pretty and there was no smell. We did see a few booms and clean-up sites, but the water and sand were gorgeous. Many people were in the water, but we were rather weary. Lila didn't seem to mind. I think there were enough people to watch.



We spent the next day at the Caribe and enjoyed the lazy river. Perhaps I should say that Jared and I enjoyed it and Lila tolerated it. Jared whipped out the sleeper hold and we laid her down in the tent. We were able to snag a table, put her under the umbrella and relax in the pool. Pretty great afternoon! I think Lila agreed.




Wintzell's opened a new restaurant in Orange Beach and Jared's parents were kind enough to take us on Thursday. I never thought I would say this, but I love baked oysters! I had 12 and really could have eaten more. They are delicious!  Randy gave Lila a bottle for the first time. It's probably been 26 years since he's done that, but he remembered!



Fae joined me for some shopping on Friday morning. We had to take advantage of the tax free weekend! we found some steals, including my $5 swimsuit. Fae got a few treats for Miss Lila and the rest of us and we love them. Thank you Fae!! (She somehow escaped the camera, but be prepared! We will catch you next time!)

On our last full day, Jared's younger brother Josh was there. He joined us at the beach and I heard him talk more then than ever. He drove in from Tulsa the night before and we were surprised he felt like going.....but we were glad he did! I never realized how much he and Jared look alike. They have different coloring, but very similar features.

Lila enjoyed her can of trail mix (her favorite toy, second only to the remote control)
Then she crashed from all the excitement

Getting ready for bed on our last night.

Helping Mommy pack on Sunday morning

She just couldn't get those darn puffs back in the bag!

Now we're back in the real world. C'est la vie!

1 comment:

  1. I love the pictures of her packing next to you! Ellie and Marley have the same yellow swimsuit and I love it!

    ReplyDelete