Last Tuesday, August 9th, I knew something wasn't right. I had a strange dizzy spell on Monday, but it went away after eating. I chalked it up to low blood sugar. You know, with all my medical training and everything. I still didn't feel like myself on Tuesday, so I checked my blood pressure when Lila and I made a stop at Publix. Thank God for those BP chairs! It was elevated, so I called my doctor and they told me to come in. After a hysterical phone call to Jared, I came home, fed Lila and packed my bag.
Jared met us at the doctor's office and we talked with my ob. She sent me down to Labor & Delivery for observation. Since I would have been 38 weeks in less than 48 hours, I knew we would leave the hospital with our baby boy. I just didn't know how it would happen. During the course of the pregnancy, we discussed a c-section versus a regular delivery. My doctor was afraid I would have the same problems I did with Lila, and neither of us wanted that. On the other hand, I did not want to go through a c-section. My biggest concern was the recovery. How could I go weeks without picking up my daughter? Ultimately, the decision was taken away from me. When my doctor came down to check on me, my blood pressure kept going up. It hit 179 over 100something, so she said we were going to the OR around 7:00 pm.
My husband got back from taking Lila to his parents around 6:45. There were several people in the room, getting me ready for surgery. I emerged from the bathroom to tell him we were having a baby. His face went white, but he was soon swept up in all the activity. After my epidural and Jared's wardrobe change, they wheeled me in.
William Beckett emerged less than 15 minutes later. After they started the actual surgery, it was only a few minutes before we met our son. As terrified as I was, it all melted away when I saw my baby. He was a great distraction! This time, Jared got to cut the cord (after Beckett was already with the nurses of course), he saw the weight, and took pictures while they checked out our little guy. It was a night of new experiences!
The magnesium arrived after I got back to the room. I was an intoxicated lunatic for the next 24 hours and am trying to block it form my mind. Magnesium is the devil and far and away the worst thing about each of my deliveries. I'm just so thankful it was only 24 hours this time! I still got to hold him and nurse rather quickly, as opposed to waiting 3 days like before.
That evening, Beckett's nurse brought him in and told us there was a mistake with his weight. Apparently they weigh the babies rather frequently while in the hospital. She noticed that he weighed over 8 pounds, much more than the original 7 lb 13 oz. After checking two scales multiple times, his birth weight was corrected to 8 pounds, 5 ounces!! No wonder I haven't been able to breathe for the last two months!
Once again, I'm completely in awe of the human body. Every day, I notice a huge improvement. One plus for c-sections is that they are much easier on the baby. Beckett didn't have to face the same hurdles poor Lila did. I still feel guilty for putting her through that, so I'm very thankful things were easier for Beckett.
Finally, the name: Beckett was our favorite name before we found out we were having a girl the first time. It was still our favorite, so we went with it. William was my paternal grandfather's name and to me, a good, solid, classic name. We know it will be somewhat of a pain to go by his middle name, but Jared has survived all these years. Beckett will be just fine.
So here he is, our newest addition. Mommy, Daddy and Big Sister are all smitten.
Ha! Not quite!
Love this one of Father and Son
from what i can tell i think he looks like you!! congrats!
ReplyDeletegood post! loved hearing all about it. glad mom & baby are doing well.
ReplyDeleteYay! Thank you! He is so cute! Glad everything went well.
ReplyDelete