Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Big Girl Pants

Exciting things are happening around here! We are potty training in full force! My previous attempts to potty train Lila failed miserably, but we're making great progress now. Potty training is the one milestone for which I didn't feel the need to set a deadline. I've always heard that children will do it when they're ready and not before. I thought Lila was ready before. I was wrong. She is ready now.

Lila started a summer program at church a few weeks ago. Her teacher is fantastic about taking them to the bathroom and encouraging them to use the toilet. Ms. Megan celebrates dry diapers and is so patient with potty breaks. You can imagine how much Jared and I appreciate Ms. Megan! We knew Lila was getting ready to potty train, and school really lit a fire under her!

I cannot express how well she is doing. She usually goes all afternoon with no accidents and tonight did not want to use her diaper! I know many people say not to return to diapers, but we do. Lila currently only wears her big girl panties at home, but is staying dry enough that I may try an errand soon. We reward successful bathroom trips with mini M&Ms, and she is thrilled each time. Lately, she's been so excited and pleased with herself, that she's forgotten the candy! How can a child of mine forget chocolate???




Lila's friend Lydia is potty training now as well. Lydia is two weeks older than Lila and the two have hit a few milestones together. We visited Lydia's house the last two Mondays for play dates, and the girls were hysterical! Most of our morning was spent in the bathroom, one on the Elmo potty, the other on the regular one. They didn't have to go most of the time, but I suppose it was fun to experience something new together. 

It should be noted that this is item #8,649 no one told me about having children: potty training brings many more concerns than puddles in the floor. Although we look forward to the raise we will get not having two children in diapers, my OCD is going haywire thinking about....PUBLIC BATHROOMS. My darling daughter still touches the potty seat. Augh! And what about traveling? How many times are we going to have to stop? I am seriously considering buying a travel potty for the car. How do mom's juggle a toddler on the potty while holding an infant in the Publix family restroom? I only have two hands and I can't take the cart in with us! You see why this is a problem for my super ridiculous Type A personality.

For now, we will celebrate the small victories and enjoy the M&Ms. I may check stock prices for Lysol, Clorox Wipes and Purell one day soon, but not today.

2 comments:

  1. I kept a "potty bag" in my trunk to take in to restaurants and such- extra underpants, wipes, antibacterial gel, and a foldable potty seat. I also kept a real potty w Publix sacks too in case we needed to stop on the road. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete