Thursday, July 11, 2013

July 4th Recap

Our July 4th this year was ah-may-zing. One of our best family days. We did nothing. We originally planned to hang out with some people on the river, after a local parade, but ended up staying home. Lila and Beckett woke us up early, around 6, and we were just lazy for a few hours. Next, we headed outside and filled up the kiddie pool.  They played while Jared and I worked on some projects I had in the garage. The weather was great, a little cooler than it had been.

We came in for lunch and naps, then headed to the grocery store for 4th Basics: hot dogs, ice cream and fireworks. We let the little ones stay up later than usual, and they were in such great moods. I told Jared that July 4th may become their favorite holiday. We broke all the rules!

While our homemade fries cooked (best baked fry recipe ever, by the way), we got out the poppers. I have no idea what they're actually called.




Then we ate our hot dogs and headed back outside for ice cream. Oh yeah, ice cream at 9:00 pm. Great idea!

Then we pulled the ice cream off our cone...

...took it to Daddy...

...and kept eating.

Then it was time for the big guns. That's right - sparklers!

We fought the wind for....longer than I care to admit.


Success!


That's it?? Now what??

Lila was a bit more skittish, but quickly overcame her fears.



They were fascinated with the Roman Candles!
After the grand finale, we put on our pjs and crashed!
 
There are usually at least a few moments in every day where I'm suddenly hit with emotion and the realization of how blessed I am (even if it's at bedtime and I'm tucking my wild animals into bed). This entire day was like that. God has given me so much more than I will ever deserve, but I'm so very grateful for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment