Tuesday, July 12, 2011

July 4th!

For July 4th, we stayed around the house. Jared worked on the fabulous bookcase and we did other miscellaneous chores. We really wanted to take Lila to one of the many firework shows, but they all started so late, 9:00 or so (when did 9 become late????).  We found one show that was supposed to start at dusk, according to our local, reliable Chamber of Commerce. Jared and I loaded up the diaper bag with snacks and toys, refilled the juice and took off!

We were some of the first people there when we arrived around 7:15. There were plenty of spaces, so we parked on the front row and set up camp. Lila immediately wanted to run around the soccer field and visit with the families who were playing or relaxing. Our adventure began!



I ran to get in front of her so I could snap a picture.
She was running away from us the whole time!


We quickly resorted to taking walks around the field. When Lila got a little too friendly with everyone, Jared hauled her up on his shoulders. I'm pretty sure he was sore the next day, since he had to do it so many times!


This was around 8:30, thirty minutes past bedtime.


This was 8:32. All done (with the book)!

 Gotta make another lap!


The fireworks started around 9:05. The Firework Show Officials turned off all the lights on the field and the magic began. Lila sat in Jared's lap for a good 15-20 minutes and watched the display. Each time a firework would go off, she would say "uh-oh". We explained to her that it was ok, but she remained unconvinced. I'm sure the people sitting near us were ready to scream.

I feel like we learn so much each time we do something like this. For instance, next year we won't go so early. Two hours is a really long time to entertain a toddler in a new place, especially at bed time. We'll take a blanket and balls. Everyone else thought to bring a football or soccer ball or whatever and Lila wanted them all! We'll also take more juice. Lots more juice!

The whole thing was very "Mayberry" to me and I loved it. Whole families were relaxing on the field, playing catch, and visiting with others. I don't care to live anywhere smaller than this, but I'm learning to appreciate the sense of community around here.

Hope you had a great Fourth!

No comments:

Post a Comment