Monday, January 10, 2011

Lila Turns 1!

We literally wrapped up Christmas and started prepping for Lila's first birthday! Our little girl turned 1 on December 30. It was a day full of reminiscing. I gave the play by play, "this time last year, I'd just gotten the epidural", "this time last year, we were still waiting".

We kept it quiet, with only our parents and my sisters here. Lila was elated to be surrounded by her fan club and was a total sweetheart the entire day. By the time we wrapped up dinner, she was practically asleep in her high chair.

My nephew, Carter. Lila was beside herself when he arrived. 
She would cackle and squeal every time she saw him.

We couldn't wrap all of Lila's gifts

We all could have saved a lot of money by just giving bows and boxes.
Ok, now I know her cake isn't pretty. Jared and I went back and forth about what to do. Ultimately, we decided to forgo the fancy cakes and make one we know is quite tasty.......and healthier. It was an apple cinnamon cake that uses applesauce and only a small amount of oil. Then, in my brilliance, I covered it in icing made of cream cheese and powdered sugar, completely negating any benefit of the cake.


Lila didn't care. She dug into the cake with absolutely no prompting. She grabbed handfuls of it and shoveled it into her mouth. We were shocked (and pleased) with her reaction and let her eat more than we should have. She consumed half of it before we pulled it away.




Granna gave Lila the must-have Little Tikes car. Fortunately, it has a panel to keep her in. When we remove the panel, she slides down to the floor and tries to get out of the car by going underneath it.


Just taking in the moment. She loved all eyes on her.


Please note the supercute outfit. I ordered the applique on Etsy and Jared's mom made the pants. She whipped them up in one afternoon and they were PERFECT! Exactly what I pictured in my mind. Grandma did a great job!!!


The wagon was actually a Christmas present, but we couldn't fit it in our car. My mom had to bring it down when she came for the birthday party. Lila loves riding in it, especially with her "Wocket" in tow (There's a Wocket in my Pocket).


Thanks to our family for making the day so special for Lila! She loved every second of it and I couldn't have pulled it off without them. I can't believe this little girl is already one! Sometimes, it feels like a million years ago when we were told I had to be induced. Lila feels like she's always been a part of our lives. Most of the time I think how quickly the last year has passed and I realize just how fleeting our time with her is. We treasure every second and are so grateful God gave us this little one to love.

4 comments:

  1. She's always been a good eater - love the cake pictures! You are a wonderful mom. Happy Birthday to Lila.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope sweet Lila had such a wonderful birthday!! Looking at pictures, I'm shocked at how much she has grown...and how long she is!! I'm glad you guys are enjoying down South, but we miss you!!

    ReplyDelete