Monday, April 12, 2010

One Great Week

Last week was awesome! We went to the zoo, had gorgeous weather nearly every day and Lila got to visit with BOTH of her maternal grandparents.

My mom, aka Granna, came to visit during her spring break. She came into town Tuesday and stayed with us until Thursday evening.  On Tuesday, we ate too many Baby Bites (LOVE Pastry Art in Homewood) and later visited Maria's for dinner.  We ran a few errands Wednesday and sat around with Lila.  Granna had her granddaughter all to herself and soaked in every possible second. Lila had a very devoted sitter while I ran a few errands, which was a nice relief for me. It was also fabulous to shower without listening for the horrified cries of a 3 month old who just realized she wasn't being held. I felt like a new woman! Other than that, we were pretty lazy and enjoyed spending time together.

My mom is such an attentive grandmother. She got Lila dressed for me, changed diapers and  played with her so I could cook. She also sang to Lila practically the whole time, which she LOVED. I can't carry a tune in a bucket and I know my poor baby was happy to hear someone sing on key. I really wish we lived closer to one another. I have visions of Sunday dinners and meeting Mom for lunch. Unfortunately that isn't an option, so we just have to take advantage of every moment!

Granna with Lila



Lila and I traveled to Opelika on Friday to visit with my dad. Amazingly, we left the house around 9 and got to Opelika at a reasonable time. I never realized how much longer it would take to get out of the house with a little one!  Dad took us to lunch at my favorite Auburn spot - Price's Barbeque House. It's the best! My child enjoys eating as much as I do, but seems to think if everyone else is eating, she should be too. We scurried back to Dad's to feed her (again) and I even managed to take care of a few things while my dad immersed himself in grandfatherhood. 

My dad is Southern (note the capital S). He hunts, eats meat at every meal and drives a big truck. When he's around Lila, he's total mush. I love it! He's been such a help since Lila was born. He came to Birmingham a few times just to drive me around or sit with Lila while I had appointments/errands (although yes, I know the real reason was to see his granddaughter). He is so patient with her and I often wonder where and when he learned that. I know that patience didn't exist with me! On Friday, he walked her around the neighborhood, talked baby talk (hysterical by the way) and changed her diapers. I balanced the checkbook. Good times for Mom!

By the way, we still do not have a grandfather name for my dad. My parents are so young, "Grand" anything doesn't fit!

Dad with his favorite person

My uncle said that grandchildren are the reason we have children. Based on my parents' reactions, I'd say he is right. I never knew how amazing it would be to see the people I love love my child so much. It's a wonderful feeling!

No comments:

Post a Comment