Friday, July 2, 2010

Six Months!

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 marked six months since Lila was born. In some ways, it feels like 10 years ago. While I remember the shock and terror of learning she had to be delivered early, the horrific pain of childbirth and the constant worry while she was in NICU, it's since dulled and has been confined to a small corner in the back of my mind. It was worth it, certainly, but much more vivid are the memories of holding her for the first time, bringing her home, her first smile, the first time she reached out for me and Jared, etc, etc. It feels as if she's always been a part of our lives. We constantly remark on how amazing our little one is, and how much we adore being her parents.

She laughs much more freely these days, but is still a serious little girl. She seems to study people constantly and draws attention wherever we go. We've had toddlers want to stop and talk to her, young male professional types who probably have never even held a child tell me how precious she is, parents of older children look at her and reminisce, and grandparents simply swoon. Cashiers are rarely grumpy when Lila is with me and everyone stops to hold the door for us. Even if she is my child, she is special. Her eyes are still so incredibly blue, although the shade changes depending on her mood. I could swear they are sometimes turquoise, sometimes the color of steel and sometimes the sky blue I remember of my grandfather.

Lila is quickly gaining weight and has the cutest rolls over her knees. She still loathes tummy time, but is strong and can very easily push up, look around and roll over. She is so close to sitting up, although she still leans a little to her left. In all honesty, she would rather stand up than anything. I maintain the opinion she is unaware of her baby status. She's so ready to run with the big kids!

She eats so well! We've made it through the veggies and fruits and are now on combinations. She can eat at least one Stage 2 serving at a time, frequently one and a half. She adores pears, with sweet potatoes coming in a close second. She sleeps very well, from 8 until 6 or 7 (usually! better knock on wood), then sleeps some more cuddled with me. She loves to be kissed, but don't hold her too tightly, she likes to move around and get a better view of what's going on around her.

She is impatient and opinionated and I have no idea where she got it. Must be from Jared. She found her feet a couple of months ago, but only in the last few weeks has she gotten them to her mouth. If Sophie is unavailable, or if she's bored with her fingers, she just pops in a toe or three. She loves music, all kinds really and prefers to be outdoors. She isn't yet aware of how much she loves air conditioning.

All that said, I am a horrible mother and did not think to take pictures on Wednesday. I did get these after she went to sleep (sleep sacks are fantastic by the way. Highly recommend them!).

Her hair has really lightened up and is a beautiful strawberry blonde. I'm not sure why it looks so dark here. Clearly, I am not a professional photographer.





Here are a few from last week, just because they're so darn cute, except for that whole drooling thing. It's just a part of life now.


The last six months have been the most incredible adventure. We look forward to the future, watching Lila and our future children grow, but I really wish I could find that darn slow motion button!

No comments:

Post a Comment