Friday, July 2, 2010

New Girlfriends

Here's a phrase I never thought I'd say (or type, as the case may be):  last Monday was glorious! Who knew Mondays had such potential??? Lila and I spent HOURS with our new friends and had a great time. Adults to talk to and children for Lila to watch. Glorious I tell you!

I've attended a Mommy & Me group at a nearby church several times. I love the women I've met and Lila enjoys watching the other children run and play. There's an added bonus; Lila usually sleeps much better when we get home. Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, a new mom joined us. Sarah and her husband have lived in Birmingham around a year or year and a half. They have an almost 10 week old daughter named Sydney (Sarah, I just realized I don't know the spelling). Sarah is in the same boat as so many of us new mothers. We don't know what to do with ourselves and our young children all day every day. There's pressure to entertain them, educate them, clean the house, prepare meals, run errands and oh yeah, find time to shower and maintain our own sanity. So, we decided to meet for lunch and commiserate. Not really! We had a great time, despite Lila demonstrating just how important it is for her to nap.

Sarah then invited me and another mommy from our group to lunch on Monday. Brinkley and her daughter, Laura (who was born on December 30th at Brookwood! Small world!), Lila and I showed up around noon. We enjoyed chicken salad from Nabeels, hummus and chips and some great girl time. The babies actually played on their blankets and were in great moods! Little Sydney slept most of the time, but did wake up to show off how strong she is. She's already pushing up and nearly rolling over! I'm pretty sure she also wondered who all these loud, new people were in her house.  Miss Laura is so close to crawling. She rolls over to her tummy and pops her bottom in the air. As soon as she figures out the arms, her parents are in trouble! I asked Lila to please take notes, as tummy time is still her biggest nightmare.  Lila and I worked on sitting up, and she's getting pretty close!

We were there from 12:00 until just after 4. I would have stayed until Jared got home from work, but I knew Sarah (or at least Sydney) was probably ready for some quiet. Both of these women are amazing and I feel so blessed to have met them. We had so much in common and there was never a lull in conversation. I look forward to getting to know these ladies better.

Thanks for a FABULOUS day Girls! Lila and I really enjoyed it and let me tell you, I needed it!

Sweet Sydney, snoozing away. Those days were nice.

Laura & Brinkley

Sarah & Lila

No comments:

Post a Comment